SwiftNet

twinypalm
Site Admin

SwiftNet

Post by twinypalm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Our club recently acquired a Swiftnet from this deal here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&p=19&sid=4a5fffbd2a7 ... 820b4b#p19

We had a chance to set it up and play with the net last night. Here is my initial impressions on the net:

1. Weight: the first thing I noticed when I received the net is its weight. It is much lighter than all the other portable nets on the market, at about half the normal weight. However, the lighter weight works against the net for out door play. As you can see on Youtube videos, weights have been put on top of the legs to avoid it being tipped over. Score 10 out of 10 for indoors, 9 of 10 for outdoors.

2. Quality of construction: The net is well made with high quality material. It appears that it will last a long time if properly taken care of. The boom and the legs feel substantial and exude of quality. Since most parts of the net are made of recycled carbon fiber, they will not rust like other portables net when exposed to rain or wet weather. The net does not have quite the same level of quality. It looks a little bit flimsy. I suspect that over time, we may need to replace it. It remains to be seen how long will the tensioning mechanism on both ends of the net will last. The carrying bag is just OK. It is not as strong as the other bags, but since it is roomy, it will last. Score 8 out of 10 indoors, 9 of 10 for outdoors.

3. Fast and easy setup: Before the net arrived, I had watched the video on how to set up this net several times so I was kind of familiar with its setup. It took me about the same time to set it up, compared to other portable nets. I would say 5 minutes from when you open the bag to final adjustment. The assembly process is not as intuitive, you will need to watch the video and/or read the instruction. The take down time is faster than other nets’. Score 8 out of 10.

4. Design and looks: The net is well designed and it looks nice fully set up. It has the true 34” center net catenary sag, without the center rod. Score 10 out of 10.

5. Playability: With the true catenary sag, no middle rod, and less protruding parts, it was a pleasure to play with the Swift net. However, the net tape’s tension is not quite as taut as a permanent net. The tape will yield when hit with any ball with pace and the ball will come over the net. At least that is true on both sides so it is fair. For that 1 point is taken off, score 9 out of 10.

Total scores: 45 out of possible 50 which averages to 9 out of 10 for both indoors and outdoors.

Now, the MSRP is $350 but it’s regularly on sale for $300. The SwiftNet costs more than twice the other portable nets, but it is worth it for all the reasons above and I think it will likely outlast all the other nets. If your club can afford it, buy it. At the $200 price, it is a no-brainer, don’t let it get way.